Things got switched around a bit today: we started with something other than weeding. Pre-teens from GIAC came to visit, so we decided to put their time to good use by helping us weed. The rest of us continued with the task of trellising our many tomato plants. Some of the tomatoes needed stakes and others needed stringing. After break, we harvested hot peppers, ochre, kale, collards, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and summer squash.
Once we were done with all of this, we just about finished up the major weeding. Unfortunately, we are going to go back through and re-weed a lot of the rows that had initially been cleared so that the weeds won't grow back again when we lay down straw.
Today was a nice day for farming, and once again we got a lot done! In the morning, we started out with a little game of catch phrase to get everyone’s minds ready to start work. We separated in our groups of three right away. The tasks were weeding thistles over at the far end of the farm, staking tomatoes, and preparing lettuce, collards, and kale starts.After our usual twenty-minute break at 11:00, one group measured out remay and cut it into strips to cover the brasica plants. Remay is a fabric-like sheet that covers some of the leafy vegetables. This is an organic farming method used to reduce the chances of the crops being eaten by insects. The other groups planted beets and strung up tomato twine.
Thursday is the day that we harvest for the Congo Square Market, since the market is held on Friday. Today we were able to harvest kale, a bunch of zucchini and summer squash, plus collards and parsley.
Another Successful Scorcher
For the second day at the farm we played some name games and I’m pretty sure we all know each others’ names already!
Today, we started off with weeding and got a couple more rows done. After break, team leaders were assigned and three groups were formed. One group was assigned the task of planting leeks, another group pounded posts in one of the tomato beds, and the last group made tepee pole bean structures. This was nice for two reasons: one, we weren’t weeding, and two, each group had a smaller, more manageable task so they were able to work together as a team.
Today was another scorcher, probably reaching into the high 90’s, and yet we got almost all that we needed to done. With about one hour left in the day, one of the groups began to harvest food for the Congo Square Market. We harvested a few heads of lettuce, some kale, collard greens, zucchini, parsley, and basil. It turned out that an hour wasn’t really enough to harvest all that we wanted to, but we can adjust that next week.