Our summer program is one where local youth, ages 14-18, join together to farm 4 acres of vegetables, grown without synthetic inputs, as well as manage a flock of laying chickens. Youth are involved in all aspects of farm work – from planting seeds to harvesting produce, to selling produce with our Mobile Market and through our Harvest Box program, which is aimed to create and increase access to fresh food where it is limited.
Produce grown on the farm is distributed throughout our community, including Ithaca City Schools, the Fresh Snack program, the markets we attend with our mobile market, and seasonal pop-up markets.
During the summer program we also work with local chefs to prepare a meal together sharing delicious ways to eat what we grow!
If you are a teen interested working with us during the summer, contact the YES program or Tompkins County Work Force NY and ask to apply for a summer job and tell them you want to work at the Youth Farm!
WE WORK TO:
- INVOLVE YOUTH IN GROWING, HARVESTING, DONATING, SELLING, EATING AND PRESERVING FOOD.
- CONNECT YOUTH TO LOCAL AND GLOBAL ISSUES CONCERNING FOOD JUSTICE AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF OUR CURRENT FOOD SYSTEM.
- SHARE INSPIRING RESPONSES TO FOOD JUSTICE ISSUES WHICH INVOLVE YOUTH FROM OUR COMMUNITIES AND AROUND THE WORLD.
- TEACH ORGANIC GROWING METHODS AND THEIR ROLE IN SUSTAINABLE FARMING.
- PROVIDE A PLACE WHERE YOUTH FROM DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO COME TOGETHER AND LEARN ABOUT EACH OTHER WHILE WORKING AS A GROUP TOWARD A COMMON GOAL.
- HELP YOUTH UNDERSTAND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE FOODS WE EAT AND OUR PERSONAL HEALTH.
- OFFER YOUTH AN OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE SOMETHING OF REAL WORTH FOR THEMSELVES, THEIR FAMILIES, AND COMMUNITY.